The ASEAN-Malaysia National Secretariat (AMNS) was established on 6 March 2009 in line with Article 13 of the ASEAN Charter which requires each ASEAN Member State to establish an ASEAN National Secretariat with the following six (6) key functions:
- Serve as the national focal point;
- Be the repository of information on all ASEAN matters at the national level;
- Coordinate the implementation of ASEAN decisions at the national level;
- Coordinate and support the national preparations of ASEAN meetings;
- Promote ASEAN identity and awareness at the national level; and
- Contribute to ASEAN community building
This National Secretariat will also work closely with the ASEAN Secretariat in Jakarta to ensure the smooth process of coordinating and facilitating ASEAN activities in the Member States. Prior to the establishment of AMNS, all work related to ASEAN was carried out by the ASEAN Cooperation Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The ASEAN-Malaysia National Secretariat has four (4) Divisions, namely ASEAN Political-Security Committee Division (APSCD), ASEAN Economic Community (AECD), ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community (ASCCD) and External Relations Division (AERD).